Beyond the need for greater efforts to reduce the excessive accumulation of arms, it remains essential that States ensure effective physical security and management of their stockpiles.
In January 2019, the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) and the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) established a technical assistance mechanism entitled Ammunition Management Advisory Team (AMAT) to support States in ammunition management in accordance with the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines (IATG).
To strengthen the capacities of states to improve the safety and security of ammunition stockpiles, thus contributing to the global reduction of the risk of accidental explosions and illicit diversion, ensuring safer communities and more stable states and societies.
- International Ammunition Technical Guidelines
- UN SaferGuard Implementation Support Toolkit for the IATG
- Critical Path Guide to the International Ammunition Technical Guidelines
- A Guide to Developing National Standards for Ammunition Management
- Utilising the IATG in Conflict-Affected and Low-Capacity Environments
E-Publications and Tools